Word Sketches

Saturday, September 16, 2006

The Eyes Have It




Human vision is amazing. I am in awe of what I can discern through my eyes. It is difficult to believe that I can see these things:

- the shape of an individual evergreen tree silhouetted on a mountain peak many miles away

- individual tiny striations between the larger lines in the skin on the palm of my hand

- the light from a single star many billions of miles away

- the nuances of overlaid hues in an impressionist oil painting

- the clear recognition of words and numbers on a small road sign I glimpse as I pass it at a speed of sixty-five miles per hour

- the indescribable iridescence of a butterfly wing or a thin oil slick on water

- the clearness of a tiny LED light on a piece of electronic equipment across a large room

- the movement of a small shadow among other shadows

- eye contact with another driver across a busy intersection

- a rainbow

I am truly amazed at what my eyes and brain can tell me about the world.

Gerald McDaniel, September 2006

{clip art from webweaver}

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home